How to give a good 10min presentation
THINK ABOUT DESIGN
CHOOSE A THEME
1 font - heading
1 font - body text
3 colors total (background, accent, text)
white space. colorlovers.com for schemes
1 min INTRODUCTION
4 min NECESSARY STUFF
any info needed to make the interesting stuff make sense
4 min INTERESTING STUFF
1 min CONCLUSION
TIP: helps to separate the presentation into recognizable sections. e.g. 1. title 2. title…
RULE OF THUMB
1 slide per minute
TIP: keep one main point per slide
Speak slowly and enunciate clearly.
AVOID DESIGN MISTAKES
1) TOO MUCH INFO
- don’t read the text on the slides as if a doc.
- don’t use senseless data.
2) NOT ENOUGH VISUALS
3) LOW QUALITY
- don’t bore with childish visuals.
- FONTS NOT TO USE:
tahoma, MS sans serif, arial, verdana, courier new, times new roman, trebuchet MS, lucida console, comic sans ms
4) VISUAL NOISE
5) LACK OF PREPARATION (a 1 hour outstanding presentation can take 30 hours of prep)
1) KEEP IT RELEVANT.
Less slides, more interaction. Turn data in something meaningful to the audience.
2) USE STRONG VISUALS. www.istockphoto.com
Design and use photos for the average joe.
3) USE GREAT DESIGN. Buy it or study a great design.
4) USE WHITESPACE
Be mindful, use spacing and alignment tidy.
Use colors, images and alignment consistently to give a cohesive look.
USE a collection of photos that belong together in one slide.
5) CRAFT THE PERFECT STORY. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.
HAVE A SYSTEM for collecting ideas. Rework them into a masterpiece.
Communicating with clarity directly impacts engagement and career.
is the key to making great presentations.
(book: Resonate by Nancy Duarte)
Designing a slide presentation
Impress is the presentation (slide show) program included in LibreOffice. You can create slides that contain many different elements, including text, bulleted and numbered lists, tables, charts, and a wide range of graphic objects such as clip-art, drawings and photographs. Impress also includes a spelling checker, a thesaurus, text styles, and background styles.
Published on May 30, 2014
Develop an outline
Then, plan the appearance.
Appearance of the slide show
- Choose color combination, background and text
- Image to understand content better?
- Logo and name on all slides?
- Number the slides for easy referencing?
- Background graphic or gradient?
- Will one slide design suit all the content?
Is one slide master enough?
What are slide masters?
It is a slide used as the starting point for other slides. It controls the basic formatting of all slides based on it.
- A slideshow can have more than one slide master.
Creating a slide master
- VIEW > MASTER > SLIDE MASTER (the Master View opens). Alternatively, right click on the master slide> EDIT MASTER.
- Click NEW MASTER icon.
Modifying a slide master
The following can be edited on a master slide:
- Background color
- Background objects (ie, logo)
- Text attributes
- Header and footer elements appearance.
- Default frames for slide titles and content
Impress has two sets of templates:
These include slides with sample text.
Presentation backgrounds folder
These come without the text.
Templates from other sources:
Working with Tables.
Creating a Table.
Creating a Template.
Using Templates obtained from other sources.
Published on May 30, 2014
Tables are a useful way to organize and present large amounts of information, for example:
- technical, financial, statistical reports
- Product catalogs showing descriptions, prices, characteristics, and photographs of products
- bills or invoices
- Lists of names with address, age, profession…
- alternative to spreadsheets
- helps reader comprehension
- different objects may be used,
Creating a table
- Plan ahead
- Change parameters later