- Lens (big blind) picks a focus
- Lens makes history (up to two as long as they’re nested)
- Other players make history
- Lens makes history again
- Little blind picks a “Legacy”
- speciation @ariel
- How and why the first flight to space was made @arya
- Technological Decline @mek
- History and development of the Bio Engine @arya
- The planet of Alexandria @mek
- The last digital colony @ariel
Genetic mutation threatens the survival of the human race.
- pose a question
- set the stage
- specify characters that are definitely in the scene / that are definitely not in the scene
- everyone picks a character to play
The Golden Age (light)
The earth has undergone a medical golden age where life expectancy is at an all-time high and advancements in medicine have enabled humans to survive most disease and extend their lifespans
The 12 Colonies (light)
The “government” funds an experiment to occupy and terraform 12 nearby planets by sending self-navigating / remote controlled, self-sustaining, un-staffed ships. Two of these planets are NX-17 and NX-18 (whose corresponding computer-powered ships are the Alexandria and the Serapeum).
Technological Decline (dark)
With the explosion of genetic engineering, problems of daily life are increasingly solved with biological means, rather than digital. Much knowledge is lost as humanity adapts to this new way of life.
Birth of the Bionet (light)
With biological matter in full control of humanity, the tendrils of Bionet grow quickly and confidently to cover the surface of the Earth, ushering in a new era of rich brain-to-brain communication between those privileged enough to have modifications letting them plug in.
Adoption of the Bionet
The first 1,000 people are selected to join the bionet and among them are politicians and wealthy, empowered individuals.
The Supplanting of the Internet (dark)
The Internet is retired in favor of the Bionet
Why is the Internet backbone being decommissioned? (dark)
Georgia Holmes (Ariel), Meghan Delanus (Mek), and Jojo Mori (Arya) are at their place of employment sitting in front of a terminal to deactivate the Internet backbone.
Georgia Holmes (@ariel)
- Boy this job sure is tedious
- I wonder what Meghan is up to
- I hate my boss, Jojo
Jojo Mori (@arya)
- The last holdouts of the old style internet are shrinking in numbers and the cost of maintaining the interoperability layer is too great
- I finally convinced the team to remove the interoperability layer between the bionet and the internet, and I’m so glad it’s not a responsibility for me anymore
Meghan Delanus (@mek)
- I am not at all convinced that we should throw away a system which has been working for decades for a biological-based system with so many unknowns
- I refuse to be the person who does the deed; I want Georgia to make the decision to type the command to power down the Internet
Supposedly, it’s no longer cost effective to run the shim enabling the Internet to interoperate with Bionet since most of the high profile, paying users have already moved off the Internet to using the Bionet. But JoJo’s motives may not be so cut-and-dry.
This decisions endangers the lives of vulnerable people who don’t have access to Bionet / capital.
- Jojo pushes for decommission
- Meghan refuses / threatens to quit, proceeds to subvert/prevent decomission
- Georgia reluctantly does the thing
The last Digital colony (light)
Skeptical and traditionalist Bionet holdouts form a colony in Alexandria, Australia to preserve humanity’s history, knowledge and culture in the internet archives.
What happened to Meghan Delanus?
Set the stage:
Jojo needs help import valuable digital goods into the Bionet, but few people are qualified. Meghan could help, but she is nowhere to be found in the Bionet… Maybe she can be found in the new colony of Alexandria, Australia
Jojo: Maybe I can find Meghan. After we decomissioned the interop layer, our company went under (cost of maintaining the interop layer bankrupted Intertek - they were too late) when our competitors became the primary Bionet provider.
Jojo has just arrived by ship to the Port of Alexandria, but the port isn’t on the water; Jojo is trying to access the old internet through a physical port.
Customs officer: “COMPUTER PLEASE.” in order to scan Jojo’s computer before granting access. Standard procedure. “As you know, in order to enter Alexandria, you must grant access and allow us to scan your drive. Failure to comply will cause deportation from the port. If our checks succeed, you will enter quarantine in order to ensure no Bionet malware is with you. For 2 weeks we will provide you food, water shelter. The internet will be made available to yo uwith full and complete monitoring during this time. Is that understood?”
Upon scanning, an alert immediately appears on the officer’s terminal.
Customs officer: “You’be been selected for additional processing. They go to consult other officials while Jojo is detained in a Port office.”
The customs officer returns with their superior to question Jojo.
Superior: “I see here the remnants of a very sophisticated sharing a signature with Intertek software. Can you explain how the software of the company who decomissioned our internet ended up on your computer?”
Jojo: “I was one of the insurgents at Intertek trying to prevent the downfall of the interop layer.”
Superior: “Interestin. Wut kin u tell us ‘bout that? How kin u proov that?”
Jojo: “In a last-ditch attempt to save the interop layer, I entered a piece of code into the Internet as a means to preserve it before the interop was destroyed.” In reality, Jojo had stolen data from Goergia Holmes’ computer.
the Superior officer shows the files bearing Georgia’s signature to Meghan, who is in the back room, and in shock that Georgia ever cared about saving the Internet.
Which planet has the last Digital Colony been backed-up within? (light)
Set the stage:
Jojo is still in the detention of Alexandrian customs. Meghan is on the line with Georgia, who has agreed to help her back up the Internet on the “remote storage” of a different planet which was created with the intention of helping terraform the same. The problem is, Georgia and Meghan don’t know which planet it is. They’re locked in a race against time, trying to triangulate the location of the planet, as Jojo is hot on their trail. The future of the Internet lies in the balance.
Blockheadicus (@arya) (Superior of Alexandrian customs):
- What is the relationship of this person who claims to be Georgia Holmes to Intertek?
- Why Meghan Delanus reacted so strongly to the news that Georgia Holmes was (allegedly) in Alexandria
Meghan Delanus (@ariel):
- Why is Jojo here? He must be looking for me, and given our past history, it can’t be to just say hello
Georgia Holmes (@mek):
- Confusion. Why does Meghan sound startled and upset?
- Feeling desperate ever since the implosion of Intertek, which tarnished her professional reputation and made finding work nearly impossible.
- Worry for her parents, who are still on the Internet; their survival on the Earth is uncertain.
- I’m pregnant!
Georgia: What’s going on? talk to me
Meghan: we have problems here on Alexandria. We need to backup the Internet. 4 of the old colonies have old infrastructure and weren’t converted to Bionet compatible. We have the infra to back them up, but Jojo from Intertek is here. I don’t know what he wants, but we may be able to use him to our advantage and learn where the “remote storage” is
Goergia: Meghan, it will all be ruined if peope discover there’s an existing copy of the Internet.
Georgia: if someone gets ahold of it, they could compromise the entire effort of Alexandria. And kill millions - including my parents!
Meghan: But how? The old internet is disconnected, but why are they at risk?
Meghan: Then how could you push the button? How could you turn off the Interop knowing that?
Georgia: I thought we had a contingency plan! My parents were in line for joining the Bionet since I have Intertek approval. At least that’s what Jojo promised
Blokkedicus: Uhh, the detainee is bein’ a trouble. Want me to do something?
Georgia: what’s happening over there? I can barely hear
Meghan: Focus. Which of the planets is our best candidate
Georgia: we can look at their activity history. Maybe if we do packet inspection we can triangulate our target planet
Meghan: Good idea! Looks like only 2 of them have connections: Serapeum, Alexandria
Georgia: A planet called Alexandria? Well that’s downright suspicious.
Meghan: At least that’s the hostname they gave…
Blokkedicus: Accordin’ to Alexandrian law, we can only detain “Georgia” for 24 more hours. If you got bizness with ‘er you best get to bisnessin’
Meghan: Looks like NX-17 is the only place accepting connections. Looks like some kind of storage device. It’s the only server that seems suitable of these two. I think this is it
With the advent genetic engineering, humanity gains control over their species, but trades away their kinship.
Looking for Planet Alexandria (light)
Proponents of the Bionet have pushed Alexandria into a corner. The digital history of the world is threatened. Faced with immense pressure, Alexandrians attempt to find a home outside of Earth.
How do the Alexandrians discover that the Bio Engine is under development? (dark)
Set the Stage:
George Holmes, a senior employee of Biotek, and heavily modified human, confronts his mom in the Bionet upon discovering her cache of bio-documents plainly revealing her secret past as an Alexandrian. Jamus, George’s schoolmate and childhood best friend, is there to offer emotional support.
A very old Georgia Holmes
- I’m so old and decrepit. Just goin’ about my old person daily life. I love prunes and tuna!
- I can’t believe MOM never told me about this! And she used to work at Intertek?! When Biotek spun out of it, and I got my job offer, why didn’t she tell me? I could lose my Biotek security clearance for this, or worse.
Jamus Firstborn (@arya):
- Yo dawg I hope George works this trash out so I can get back to my Bionet campaign of Halo 47. But I’ll stick it out with him til it’s resolved.
- Jamus is unemployed
- Jamus’ DNA is the basis of the bio engine
- George has a father
- Jamus is a test tube baby with 40 mas
- George sees his mom every 3 years, they don’t really talk
- Tin foil hats may possibly maybe prevent Bionet surveillance
- George cares about his grandparents
- George Holmes’ affiliation with Alexandria is publicly available on the Bionet
- George stole Jamus’ DNA to use in the Bio Engine
- Bio Engine enables people to go to the 12 colonies
- Jamus and George live in New New York, 100 hours away (by hovercar) from Georgia
- it is possible to unplug from the Bionet
- Hovercars exist
- Jamus delivered a package containing critical Bio Engine based on his own DNA
- the DNA of a firstborn was required for Bio Engine
- George is in BIG trouble if Biotek discovers his family’s affiliation with Alexandria
- Bio Engine is based on human DNA!
The first documented new species (dark)
Try as they might, Ultimax Delanus and Norberry Sherbet are unable to conceive a child, an incident nearly unthinkable since the Medical Revolution. Scientists around the world study the phenomenon, and eventually learn that, at least for these two, it’s impossible…
George reconsiders his life choices
In light of all that he has learned about his past, and his mother’s, George sincerely wonders if history will be on the side of Biotek. Caught between an idealistic past and a promising future, he’s faced with difficult choices.
George Holmes powers the bio engine (dark)
Off-hours, George attempts to ignite the bio engine. He’s a little short on bio material, so in a last-ditch attempt, resorts to using himself as the solvent.
Unintended Mutations (dark)
Humans in the Bionet begin to unpredictably experience detrimental mutations which may in cases threaten their livelihood, kinship, etc.
Oh, The Humanatee! (light)
Successful tuna fish, manatee, human grafting made human-like life underwater possible. It is the first popular and growing subspecies of human due to practical benefits of more space in the ocean for a claustrophobic land.
Space Era (light)
Explosion of fast and cheap space bio-technology propels humanity to moon and beyond.
The Bio Engine is developed
From a medical research laboratory deep in the Sierras, a new technology emerges: an engine capable of space flight, based entirely on living biological matter.
Finding Holmes (the Mutant)
A bounty hunter names Jamus Firstborn searches for a mutant named George Holmes to prevent them from leaving earth.
The Era of Red Sun (dark)
Humanity splits into countless sub-species in contest for the limited resources of the earth
- Space colonies
- Bounty hunters
- Genetic mutations may occur outside of birth (realtime crispr)
- Sex is liquid and may be changed voluntarily
- Class systems exists
- People have human-like physiological needs (e.g. to sleep, to eat, to defecate, to breath)
- The sky is green
- Sentient non-humans
- Human race escaping reliance on Earth
- Traveling near speed of light or time travel
- Medical offices