The race to Alpha Centauri
When the human race reaches out to set foot on a new home planet, who will be the first, why will they succeed and what will they find?
Humanity will be changed but will it be for the better?
Old truths will die, new ideas will rise and prevail.
- Innovation, Moral Choices, Skills, Leadership
- Gritty, Clunky Technology
- Everybody’s fixing things
- Hight regard for engineering
- Do or die - Tough choices for the colonists
- The Danger of isolation
- Man vs Nature
- Stasis, Cryosleep, Generation ships
- Multiple Colonization expeditions
- FTL Travel
- Intelligent Aliens
- The launch of the Starship Shackelton (Frederik)
- Engine Development (Jonathan)
- The Cryosleep exovirus pandemia (Johannes)
- Babette Drey, the first starborn child and her communication device (Johannes)
- Joy Anderson Engine (Frederik)
- The spaceship “Decisive Victory” (Jonathan)
(Start) The Age of Space - First Colony Ships Depart
The construction of the Starship Shackelton
In what way is the Shackelton flawed?
- Denford Jones, Visionary for the starship building project
- Chief Technical advisor - Eliza Henderson
- Financial Controller - Howard Scarf
Meeting of the project’s steering committee in Denford’s office
The engine design is fit for interplanetary travel, but not fit to reach Alpha Centauri
Starship Shackelton launches against all odds, on time, but with major flaws under captain Aaron Abbott.
Explosion of the Shackelton and death of its crew after they have left the solar system. Ten survivors in an escape pod. Denford isn’t alive to hear the news.
What hope of rescue do the survivors have?
- Susanne Drey, mother of baby Babette, first starborn child
- Gustav Alson, 17, tech
- Walton Jones, grandson of Denford
Hope of resuce: To be picked up by the Anderson Expedition.
The birth of the Anderson Expedition - hatched in secret, untraditional approach.
How did Katrina Anderson come up with the idea for the Joy Anderson Engine?
- Katrina Anderson (17)
- Patrick Anderson (55), uncle
- Joy Anderson, mother of Katrina, terminally ill
From an old drawing in Patrick’s workshop
Katrina Anderson (37) receives the Nobel Prize for her development of the Joy Anderson Engine. The first engine to reach another solar system with the crew alive.
Babette Drey is chosen as the Captain of the “Hope beyond Jupiter”
Miscalculations Lead to detour
Babette Drey founds the colony of Phorus in her final days.
Schism in the Diaspora - Age of Multiple Colonies
Engine and exhaust weaponization triggers arms-race.
How did Babette Drey’s grandchild accidentially kill the Colony of Phorus with a modified Joy Anderson Engine?
- Eva Drey, Babette Drey’s grandchild
- Jacey Tareck, engineer
Misheard the engineer and put the overloaded Joy Anderson Engine on Full Speed Ahead and created the Joy Anderson Planetbuster.
Age of space hulks
The development of complete hydroponic “space-lungs”.
The silent death of the “Decisive Victory”‘s crew on the return from Proxima Centauri 5
What does the crew of xenobiologists discover as they open up the “Decisive Victory” and walk among the “sleeping” crew?
- Marianne Prino - Lead scientist
- Christian Martin - Security officer
- Andrew Wiles - xenobiologist intern
Green space mucus virus material coming out of the crew’s corpses as soon as they are de-frozen
The Cryosleep exovirus mutates on Earth and kills all mammals except humans on the Five Colonies
Creation of huge farms for genetically engineered insects
Hungry homeless masses storm the insect farms, but get infected by the original virus.
How do Crook, Cringe, and Cranny escape the farm alive, even though the virus killed all their plundering friends?
- Crook (12)
- Cringe (13)
- Cranny (11)
Quick thinking on Crook’s part - Crook and Cranny disinfect themselves they think, but Cringe is contaminated.
The Death of Planet Earth (end)
Use # for Period headings, ## for event headings, ### for scene headings. This way exporting to html/markdown/etc makes for nice vertical reading.
Append the tone to the card with a dash, then the tone in italics (e.g. - *Light*)